Formula 1 wallpapers, stories, news
For Trulli, 2008 marks the start of his fourth season with Toyota, and despite a difficult 2007 campaign, the Italian insisted he is optimistic about the year ahead.
The track was built in the 1970s on reclaimed marshland, less than a hundred feet from the Atlantic coastline, and with its mountain backdrop was one of the more picturesque circuits on the calendar.
Despite its notoriously bumpy surface, the track, in addition to hosting F1 races, was used as a winter testing venue.
In 1990, a year after hosting its last ever World Championship Grand Prix, Jacarepagua was re-named in honour of three-time World Champion Nelson Piquet. From 1996 to 2000 the circuit hosted a round of the Champ Car series, with Juan Pablo Montoya enjoying success there.
Rio, which if it successful would become the first South American city to host the Olympics, has previously bid for the 2004 and 2012 games, however, on each occasion it failed to make the final shortlist.
Having fallen into the hands of property developers in early 2005, the last year in which it hosted a round of the Motorcycle World Championship, there were always fears for Jacarepagua's future.
The Spaniard will be joined by newly-signed race driver Heikki Kovalainen later on in the day. Kovalainen, who raced for Renault in 2007, will take charge of a second MP4-23, as he makes his first on-track appearance for McLaren.
The squad, who are scheduled to test privately for the next three days, will concentrate on kick starting the 2008 cars on-track development, ahead of next weeks multi-team session at the circuit.
The Woking squad's test driver Pedro de la Rosa was given the honour putting the car through its paces for the first time, rolling out of the garage just after 9am on Wednesday morning.
New signing Kovalainen then took the second chassis out for a spin in the afternoon and completed his first laps for the team since joining from Renault.
Lewis Hamilton will get his first taste of the car on Thursday as McLaren carries out an extensive five-day test in Spain.
- FIA changes qualifying format
- Tests Formula 1 2008 Ferrari F2008 first run at Fiorano F1 wallpaper 1600x1200
- Dennis eyes another fight for the championship
- Force India to announce drivers this week
- Hamilton doesn't expect difficulties to race without driver aids
- Dakar 2008 - Dakar cancelled over security fears
- Presentation Formula 1 2008 Launch Vodafone McLaren Mercedes mp4-23 Images 1600x1200
- 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar
- Mercedes Museum celebrates historic first launch
- McLaren MP4-23 - fact file and technical specification
- McLaren launch the MP4-23 in Stuttgart
- Raikkonen gives F2008 first run at Fiorano
Page 113 of 115